Twin vs. Twin XL Mattress
If you have seen the Twin vs Twin XL mattress often, then you would notice that there are several similarities between both. This similarity can get so confusing that you might not even be able to tell their differences. However, that does not mean these differences do not exist. Now, hold on a moment before purchasing what might not be best for you; you might want to read this.
What are the Key Features for Twin vs Twin XL Mattress?
Generally, both the twin and twin XL mattresses have a lot of similarities. Sometimes they are compact-space savers best suited for single sleepers or smaller guest rooms. Other times, they can be an excellent option for your kids as they have slim builds for lightweights. However, they still possess some differences. The twin mattress has a dimension of 72 inches in height and 38 inches in width, while the extra-long bed has a size of 80 inches in height and 38 inches in width.
The twin bed also has a smaller surface area of 2,850 square inches (237.5 square feet), while the twin xl bed has 3,040 square inches (253.3 square feet).
Peculiarities between the Twin and Twin XL
The major significant difference between the twin and Twin XL mattresses is their length. While the twin bed is 72 inches in length, the twin XL bed is 80 inches. This variety in length is the primary factor in deciding which option is best suited for you.
Twin XL beds are popular for single adult sleepers, taller teenagers, and young adults. It is mainly used in college dorm rooms and small guest rooms. In contrast, the twin-size bed is used more for children or shorter adults whose heights are not up to six feet. They are popularly used as bed bunks in children’s rooms and crib mattresses.
Twin vs Twin XL Mattress Comparison Table
|Dimensions||Twin mattresses||Twin XL mattresses|
|Width||38 inches||38 inches|
|Length||72 inches||80 inches|
|Area||2,850 square inches||3,040 square inches|
Which one should you go for?
Below are a few things you should consider when trying to choose twin mattress or twin xl.
- Room space: Although both mattresses are small-sized beds made to fit into the smaller bedrooms, you still have to keep the size and dimension of your room in mind before making a purchase. If you have especially smaller spaces, then the twin mattress is the best option for you.
- Height and Age: If you are shopping for children of average height, it would be better to consider getting a twin bed. On the other hand, if you are older and maybe above 6 feet tall, then a better option for you would be the twin xl mattress, and it is lengthier and a better fit for taller adults.
- Cost: The two are almost similar in price, but the extra-long twin has lower accessories availability. Therefore, you might have to pay more to get it. It would be better to purchase a twin-sized bed if you are on a budget.
Advantages and disadvantages for Twin vs twin xl mattresses
Before deciding which of these mattresses you should go for, let us talk about the pros and cons of each one.
Twin mattresses pros:
- They are compact-sized mattresses with decent market availability.
- Their accessories are readily available and not difficult to get.
- Ideal for small spaces, shorter adults, and children.
- Affordable and an excellent choice for individuals on a tight budget.
Twin mattress cons
- They are mostly too narrow and not fitting for more than one person.
- They are shorter than twin xl mattresses and are not a good fit for tall people.
Advantages for Twin xl type
- They are great for tall sleepers as they are about five inches longer than the regular twin mattress.
- They are also affordable and great for saving room space.
Drawbacks for Twin xl type
- The taller length these mattresses account for makes it difficult for them to accommodate more than one person at a time.
- They are mostly fit for single sleepers, and their accessories are also hard to find.
Looking at it critically, the significant difference between the twin vs extra-long twin mattresses is the 5 inches difference. This difference, however, would mean a lot when it comes down to your needs and preferences. We hope this article was helpful enough in helping you make a decision.
What is the main difference between Twin and Twin XL?
The significant difference between the twin and twin xl mattresses is the length. The twin mattress is 72 inches in length, and the twin xl mattress is 80 inches.
How wide is a Twin mattress?
Talking about the width of the twin mattress, it is safe to say it is larger than the twin xl mattress as it is 38 inches in width.
Is a Twin or Twin XL best for an adult?
Both mattresses can be used by adults, depending on the individual’s height. Shorter adults can use the twin mattress, while taller adults should consider the twin xl mattress.
How much does a Twin/Twin XL mattress cost?
Averagely, both the twin and twin xl mattresses are within the same price range of $200 to $300.
Tags: best mattresses, nectar pillow, best sleeping pillow for neck pain, innerspring futon mattresses, mattress for couples, hip pain from soft mattress, thick mattress topper, down alternative pillow, cotton mattress protector, body pillows