Queen Size Mattress vs. King Size
Even though queen-size mattresses appear to be more popular compared to king-size mattresses, they don't differ by far in popularity. A study conducted by the Better Sleep Council (BSC) in 2016 confirmed that almost 47% of consumers choose a queen-size mattress, and only 25% have a king-size mattress. This council is the consumer education branch of the International Sleep Products Association (ISPA).
Picking the best size of mattress for your next bed is essential. This article will help you compare queen-size and king-size mattresses. The differences begin with basic dimensions to other factors you should consider when selecting between the two size options.
The dimensions for the queen-size mattress are 60 inches (5 feet) by 80 inches (6 feet, 8 inches). The measurements for the king-size mattress mattress are 76 inches (6 feet, 4 inches) by 80 inches (6 feet, 8 inches). The length for both sizes is the same, providing ample legroom for a larger percentage of people. The California King option is available for people who are taller than 6 feet, 4 inches.
|Features||King Size Mattress||Queen Size Mattress|
|Width||76 inches||60 inches|
|Length||80 inches||80 inches|
|Area per Person||80 by 80 inches||80 by 30 inches|
|Recommended Room Size||12 feet by 12 feet||10 by 10 feet|
|Pro||More space for couples–can accommodate children.||Moderately priced|
|Con||May not accommodate children||The extra space comes at a cost.|
Both the king and queen size beds can effortlessly accommodate a couple while the smaller sizes cannot. How do you decide which option is better for you?
Factors to Consider
Both king and queen-size mattresses provide an excellent option for families and couples. Here are some key tips you should have in mind when deciding between the two.
Several different factors will affect your option of mattress size, with the priority being its suitability to long-term family sleeping arrangements. It is wise to make an informed decision when picking the quality of mattress to use as this will impact your health.
- Size of the Room: A space of 2 feet is left on either side of the bed, with about 5 feet of distance from the base of the bed to the opposite wall. This keeps the room from appearing cluttered, which may negatively affect your REM sleep. When deciding the size of mattress that is ideal for you, consider the space available. More room is needed if extra furniture will go into the bedroom. The ideal room size to accommodate a king-size bed is 144 square feet, while 140 square feet of floor space is sufficient for the queen size. Picking a queen size bed for a large floor space will allow you to add more furniture. A king-size bed tends to cover a bigger portion of the room, meaning you will have to compromise on the furniture that will go into your bedroom.
- Number of Sleepers: The number of sleepers is another factor that you will have to consider. The perfect mattress size for couples is queen or king. However, the king-size option provides 8 inches of additional space to accommodate a child who wishes to snuggle with their parents. The queen size bed is especially popular among single sleepers who need more space to stretch out in bed. The queen size option is ideal for couples who want to sleep closer, but this means there may be little room left to accommodate a child.
- Location of the Bedroom: King-size mattresses and beds are generally heavier. This makes them comparatively difficult to transport, especially if the bedroom is upstairs. The size of the bed and the challenges that may arise from transportation should be taken to account. This will include the width of your stairway and whether the bed can fit through your doorways. Queen-size mattresses and beds are easier to handle because of their smaller size and weight.
- Future Decisions: If you're in the habit of moving from residence to residence, a queen-size mattress will be a better option because it is easier to maneuver it to the bedroom. King-size mattresses are a better option for couples who plan on staying in the same apartment for a long time.
- Ease of Transport: King-size mattresses are more difficult to move around compared to queen-size mattresses. A queen-size bed can easily be fitted onto a cargo van or the bed of a truck with little hindrance. Its smaller size also makes it easier to get it to an upstairs bedroom as one can easily maneuver around tight corners. Queen size beds provide a better alternative for people who move frequently.
- Price: The cost of mattresses will depend on the material and type: memory foam, innerspring, latex, and hybrid. The price of a mattress will increase with better quality, with a king-size mattress typically costing more than a queen-size mattress.The accessories that go hand-in-hand with a king-size bed may be more expensive due to their larger size than the queen-size bed. For instance, the size of a pillow to reduce neck pain is bigger for king-size mattresses and therefore tends to be more expensive than for queen-size mattresses.
Both Queen and King Size Mattress come with a variety of customizable features to suit your needs. Whereas some of the customizations are easy to find, others will require more effort. Depending on your needs and preferences, pick the right-sized mattress. We hope this article is helpful for your decision-making.
King mattress or Queen - which is better for couples?
Either the king or the Queen can be ideal for couples depending on what they want. If you want extra space, go for the king because it gives you more room for a child to snuggle with you. If you want to be closer together with your partner, get the Queen.
What is the main difference between Queen and King mattresses?
The primary difference is in the dimensions. King size mattresses are 16 inches wider. The dimensions for the queen-size mattress are 60 inches (5 feet) by 80 inches (6 feet, 8 inches). The measurements for the king-size mattress are 76 inches (6 feet, 4 inches) by 80 inches (6 feet, 8 inches).
Is a Queen size more expensive than a King size mattress?
King size mattresses are typically more expensive than queen size. King beds are more costly can go for at least $100 higher than the cost of a queen-size bed on the same model or brand. Furthermore, bed frames and foundations for the king-size bed be more expensive.
Tags: what is the best mattress, deep memory foam mattress topper, twin or twin xl, rv memory foam mattress, what is the softest mattress, casper standard pillow review, what size is a king size mattress, best rated innerspring mattress 2022, best pillow top mattress topper, sutera pillow