The Best Pillows for Stomach Sleepers
“It makes you sleep like a baby” or “It feels like sleeping on a cloud” is not enough information to buy a pillow as a stomach sleeper. You need more details than that. To be honest, you cannot make the best choice when it comes to pillows if you don’t know about pillows. When you know the peculiarities of the pillow, you’ll know exactly what you are looking for in every pillow type. But no salesman will spend time explaining the deep details of every pillow in his store. Heck, he might not even know. That’s why we are here - to fully equip you with the knowledge you need to buy the best pillow for stomach sleepers.
We even have a list of the top best pillows for stomach sleepers compiled in our table below. You can choose from there after you have completed this guide.
How To Choose a Pillow as A Stomach Sleeper?
Stomach sleepers have to pay more attention to their pillow type and structure even more than other forms of sleepers. This is because they are a lot more at the risk of straining their neck or causing themselves pain from placing their upper cervical spine at end-extension. But as we rightly said, it is not written on the pillow wrapper. However, we have a solution on how to choose a face-down stomach sleeper pillow and it has been fused into three steps. They are:
- Make a list of what you need as a stomach sleeper: Though we would mention more of these incoming sections, this is the first step. As a stomach sleeper, your pillow has to have some characteristics that’ll foster better sleep. Normally, pillows for sleeping on your stomach should be plush and have a really low loft (not more than 2 inches - maximum). Also, it should have a fill that is like down or feathers that’ll compress with the weight of the head. It should also have a good construct that’ll keep the shape of the pillow after you have lifted your head.
- Decide on what you’d like in your pillow: This has to do with the shape of your pillow. Some come rounded while others could be rectangular. Some people also prefer that their pillows should be made purely from plants and not animals. You can also decide on the method of wash care you prefer for your pillow.
- Head to a Store: This is pretty straightforward. When you have the two things listed above you can feel free to go and buy your pillow. But if you need more information, please read on.
What Type of Pillow Is Best for Stomach Sleepers?
The best pillows for stomach sleepers are made from certain materials because only those materials can give the loft and plush that a stomach sleeper needs to keep the body in the neutral spine alignment. The materials are memory foam, feather, down, latex, and polyfoam.
- Down pillow: Of course, Down is a suitable material for making stomach sleeper pillows because of its soft touch and feel. It is made from the inner plumage of ducks and geese, that is, the feathers that are under the outer feather. It is so soft that is highly compressible and would need to be fluffed frequently to return to shape.
- Feather Pillow. Also made from parts of ducks and geese, the feather pillow is filled with the outer plumage of these birds. It is also soft and lightweight but not as soft as a down pillow. Similar to down pillows, they also need to be fluffed.
- Memory Foam pillow: Memory foam is known to be great for making good pillows for stomach sleepers because the material molds out the outline of the head when pressure is applied. Therefore, it can also help to relieve pain and align the spine.
- Latex pillow: Latex is a natural product that is gotten from rubber trees. It also makes for good material for stomach sleepers' pillows. Similar to memory foam, it also molds out the shape of the head when pressure is applied. However, this is denser, bouncier, and thicker than memory foam.
- Polyfoam pillow. Polyfoam is another type of pillow for stomach sleepers. It is also called polyurethane foam and it is 100% synthetic. It is also very cheap and easy to find in any store. It has a moderate contouring effect but is less durable than other types. It can also get stiff after a long while and might need replacement more often than the others.
Best Size of Pillow for A Stomach Sleeper
A stomach sleeper should go for pillows that are wide enough to accommodate the hands and head (since the most common sleeping position among stomach sleepers is to bury their hands under the pillow beside their heads). The best pillow size for stomach sleepers is the queen or king-size pillows. They are 20” × 30” and 20” × 36” respectively.
What Should Stomach Sleepers Look for In a Pillow?
Remember when we mentioned something on loft and firmness level? Well, now we’ll explain much better. You might want to grab a notepad for when you finally go shopping. 7 things should be considered if you want to come home with the best stomach sleeper pillow. They are as follows:
- Material: The materials used to make stomach sleeping pillows are divided into natural and synthetic. While natural and organic products are divided into plant-based and animal-based. You should pick the one that best suits your need and preference. However, stick to the ones that are durable and easy to clean.
- Firmness level: Every stomach sleeper should invest only in pillows that are plush or medium-plush. Overweight or big people should go for medium-plush pillows while petite people should look for plush pillows. The best firm pillow for stomach sleepers are made from memory foam, and feather.
- Shape: The best pillow for sleeping on the stomach must always retain the original shape after the pressure from lying down has been relieved.
- Loft: Stomach sleepers should only buy pillows that are 2 inches thick. It can be much lower than this, but it must not be higher.
- Support: Finally, you should only pick a pillow that gives you the best support of all. Immediately you feel uncomfortable, change the pillow.
Without the right information, shopping for a pillow as a stomach sleeper can be confusing. There are so many options and they are seen to have good reviews online. However, with a guide like this, you’ll know what to look for before taking your pillow home.
What is the best pillow for stomach sleepers?
The best stomach sleeping pillow is the one that has a low loft (about 2 inches or less) and a plush feel. It should also be made from only soft materials. But what makes it truly a choice is if it gives its user the best support.
How to find the best pillow as a stomach sleeper?
To find the best pillow as a stomach sleeper, you should only look for pillows made from soft materials. These materials include down, feather, memory foam, and latex. You should look for pillows that are thin and not too high.
Is a soft or firm pillow better for stomach sleepers?
A stomach sleeper should only use soft pillows. A hard pillow will only cause neck strain and body pain. Only a soft and highly-compressible pillow can give a stomach sleeper the best sleep.
Tags: best mattresses ever, portable folding mattress, twin xl mattress dimensions, twin mattress vs twin xl, most comfortable organic mattress, soft pillows for neck pain, full size mattress vs queen, how to buy a new mattress, mattress firmness plush vs firm, best mattress for arthritis hips