The Best Pillows for Side sleepers
So much goes into the right pillow type. As a side sleeper, you have to pay attention to a few details of a pillow to pick the one that keeps your head and spine in a neutral position. The wrong pillow can lead to unnatural spine alignment, body pain, stress, and worst of all, a very stressful sleep. Therefore, to pick the best pillow as a side sleeper, you need to know the peculiarities of pillows — that is, what makes up a pillow. Only then would you be able to choose the best one available in the market.
We have a table with some of the best pillows for side sleepers that you can invest in right now. Why don’t you take a quick look?
How To Choose a Pillow as A Side Sleeper?
Before you decide to pay for a pillow, you need to put your needs and wants into place. Obviously, you know what you want, but you might not know how to find what you want. For example, you might want a bed that conforms to your head while you sleep, what we’ll tell you is that you want a memory foam pillow. So, let’s get on with it - how to choose good pillows for side sleepers.
- What you need: As a side sleeper, the best pillow for you is the one that’s firm with a tall profile. This is so that it can help your ear align with your shoulder while you sleep - a neutral spine position. The tallness of the pillow will help relieve the pressure from off your shoulder and the firmness will keep your head from sinking into the bed (causing bad alignment). You’ll also need a pillow that’s fluffy and shapeable.
- Desires: Now, let’s dive a little into some personal desires and sleeping preferences that would also influence what pillow you should choose. If you sweat a lot at night, then go for a pillow that’s naturally absorbent like polyester, or bamboo. If you have a sensitive skin type, then choose a pillow that’s made from natural and organic products like cotton, natural latex, or cellulosic fibers. Finally, if a deep sink and slow response to pressure is your thing, opt for a shredded memory foam pillow. Now, on to the best pillow for side sleepers.
What Type of Pillow Is Best for Side Sleepers?
According to side sleeper pillow reviews, some pillows are categorized as the top-rated pillows for side sleepers. And what makes them top-rated is their high loft, firmness, and material type. That’s right, the material of the pillow can make a pillow the worst or the best side sleeper pillow. So, what are the materials that are made for side sleepers?
- Down pillow: This is a less firm option made from the soft inner plumage of geese and ducks. It can sometimes be strengthened by adding feathers to the outer chamber of the pillow.
- Memory Foam pillow: And this is even softer — still firm, but softer than buckwheat or down. It is made from viscoelastic foam and its contours with the body shape thereby promoting better spine alignment. The best memory foam pillow for side sleepers is shredded memory foam (reduces heat retention and promotes breathability).
- Latex pillow: Latex is as soft as memory foam but more supportive (since it doesn’t sink as much). It is made from the sappy extract of rubber trees. It is also highly natural and organic.
- Feather pillow: This is more supportive than down, though has the same level of firm-plush. It is made from the outer plumage of geese and ducks. Feather pillows are also the highest-rated pillows for side sleepers as regards durability.
- Polyfoam pillow: It is the responsive twin of memory foam. It also molds the body as with a memory foam pillow but the sink is reduced. It is also more adaptive than the latex brother.
Best Size of Pillow for A Side Sleeper
There are four sizes of pillow — standard, super standard, Queen, and King size. However, the most comfortable pillow for side sleepers needs to be King sized. This is the pillow with the measurement of 20 inches wide and 36 inches long. It gives side sleepers enough room to switch from one side to the other. It also allows them to be able to put their arms around the pillow to get snuggly. However, it is highly expensive, if not the most expensive of all pillow size types.
What Should Side Sleepers Look for In A Pillow?
5 things need to be considered when shopping for the best bed pillows for side sleepers and they are as follows:
- The firmness level: When you want to shop for a pillow as a side sleeper, you should stick to pillows that are not too soft and not too firm. The best firm pillows for side sleepers are made from down, memory foam, latex, or polyfoam. While the best soft pillow for side sleepers is made from feather, or memory foam.
- Loft: This is also referred to as the thickness of a pillow. As a side sleeper, you need to look for medium to high lofted pillows because those are the kinds that can give you the right neck placement.
- Shape: What is the best pillow for side sleepers? That’s simple, a fluffed pillow is much better than a flat pillow. A flat pillow for a side sleeper will only lead to neck pain, back pain, and an unaligned spine.
- Support: A pillow with good support is the best type of pillow for side sleepers. It has to maintain your head placement throughout the night without sinking your head in. Latex or Foam are the best options here.
- Material: Again, the material determines which pillow you should choose. As we have earlier mentioned, side sleeper pillows are made from buckwheat, down, memory foam, latex, feather, or polyfoam.
Looking for the best pillow for side sleepers in 2022 might seem like the work of pillow experts and scientists. But to be honest, it is not that hard to find. However, you need to know a couple of things like the material it is made of and the size to choose your pick of the best pillow. A guide like this, with all the right criteria to choosing and buying the right pillow, should do the trick.
What is the best pillow for side sleepers?
The best pillow comprises a few factors. For a side sleeper to get the best sleep, support, and pressure distribution, he/she would need a medium to a firm pillow with a high loft. A pillow with enough space to switch and hug is also very important.
How to find the best pillow as a side sleeper?
First, you need to list out what you want in a pillow. This can include whether or not it molds your body, absorbs moisture, is breathable, or is made from natural products. Then you can fix in firmness, good support, and high loft.
Is a soft or firm pillow better for a side sleeper?
A side sleeper needs a blend of both. It should not be too soft so that the head doesn’t sink into the pillow causing bad spine alignment. It should also not be too firm so that you don’t wake up with neck and shoulder pain.
Tags: best mattresses, nectar pillow review, best adjustable mattress for seniors, best organic latex mattress, best camping pillows for side sleepers, euro top mattress vs pillow top, different mattress firmness, kingsdown mattress reviews, best type of mattress for scoliosis, choosing a mattress