The Best Pillows for Back Sleepers
Every pillow is made especially for different types of people. It could be based on an illness, weight, or sleeping pattern. As a back sleeper, you need to pick the right kind of pillow for you to truly enjoy your sleep. Using the best type of pillow for back sleepers would also help you to keep a healthy posture and maintain the natural curvature of your spine.
And to know the best back sleeping pillow, you have to be knowledgeable about a few peculiarities of pillows. This post would let you in on everything that you need to know to make the best choice when you finally go shopping.
How To Choose a Pillow as A Back Sleeper?
So how can you choose the best pillow for back sleepers? You need to pay attention to the things you need in a pillow. Every back sleeper requires a pillow to be of a certain level of firmness, loft, and support. You’ll also need to place a few of your criteria into place. This has to do with the extra features that are unique to you (we’ll call that your unique wants). So, let’s talk about them both.
- What you need: For your pillow to be truly comfortable, it has to be a bit higher than your mattress - but not too high. We recommend a medium loft pillow for the best comfort. You also need to keep the firmness of your pillow on a medium level. If it is not firm enough, the pillow would lose its shape as a result of your head’s weight. And if it isn’t soft enough, you might wake up with a stiff neck. You also need your pillow to conform to pressure. A pillow that feels like a tabletop is just pure suffering. Since most back sleepers have their head tilted to the side, you need a pillow that’ll cushion your head and neck.
- Your unique wants: Since the range for the most comfortable pillow for back sleepers lies between firm and plush, you can decide to add a little custom support to your pillow. Adjustable fills help to manipulate how much stuffing is in your pillow. You can also look for cooling properties that’ll keep the pillow cool even during hot nights. Some people also don’t feel too comfortable with pillows that slowly sink their heads into the mattress, so you can opt for bouncier pillows. Having all of these in mind can help you make a happy choice.
What Type of Pillow Is Best for Back Sleepers?
The best pillow for back sleepers is the one that gives the best support, and feel when you place your head on it, and this boils down to the kind of material it is made from.
- Latex pillow: This type of pillow provides the best support and bounce for back sleepers. It is also very firm (it doesn’t lose its shape from the weight of the head) and this makes it highly durable. Latex pillows are made from rubber trees - so they are natural and organic (best for sensitive skins)
- Feather pillow: It is made from the long, stiff quills of geese and ducks and is very similar to down (which we will get to in a while). It is also very cool and highly supportive. However, the construct can make the pillow discomforting, especially when the quills start to stick out.
- Memory Foam pillow: Memory foam is also a good material that’s used to make pillows for sleeping on your back. It is quiet, supportive, and it conforms to the body (helping to relieve the body’s pressure points). However, not all memory foam pillows are the jackpot option, the best memory foam pillow for back sleepers are the ones with a cooling effect or any device that promotes airflow.
- Down pillow: This, just like a feather pillow is made from parts of geese or a duck. But instead of the feathers, this is from the inner plumage. It is softer, fluffier, and highly durable. They also retain heat (but not too much) so it is a good option for those looking for soft, comfortable pillows.
Best Size of Pillow for A Back Sleeper
As a back sleeper, your pillow must not be too small or too big. When it is too small, the pillow qualities will be too condensed making the pillow appear stiffer. And if it's too large, it’ll be discomforting. Your hands would fall on the taller pillow when you placed them beside your ears (which is a common posture among back sleepers). So what’s the best size? Standard pillow size is the best size for a bask sleeper. And if you are a bigger person, go for the Queen size pillow. These pillows are 20 inches wide and between 26 to 30 inches long.
What Should Back Sleepers Look For In A Pillow?
Apart from the price, durability, color, or overall look, there is a few more important stuff you need to pay attention to. These things are what make a pillow the best back sleeper pillow. They are:
- Loft: As a back sleeper, keep your pillow between 3 to 5 inches thick. This is the best pillow height for back sleepers. Anything higher or lower would be uncomfortable and could lead to body pain, stiff neck, or even a health-related complication.
- Firmness level: The required pillow firmness for back sleepers is medium-firm which is between medium and total firmness.
- Shape: Should your pillow be round or rectangular? The best option is a rectangular pillow. But whether or not it is rectangular or rounded, it must always spring back to its shape after the head weight is lifted.
- The material: Pillows for back sleepers are made from different materials including down, latex, memory foam, buckwheat, and feather. And they are all quality, firm, and soft enough. What you should look out for when choosing is which of them gives you the better support and feel.
Browsing through the internet looking for the best pillow for back sleepers 2022 would lead you to countless options and brands. And choosing the best one for you can be hard. But with the right criteria, information, and guide, it would come easy to you. You’ll finally be able to walk into a store and pick the best one for you without wasting time.
What is the best pillow for back sleepers?
Pillows with medium-firm support and a loft of about 3 to 5 inches are best for back sleepers. It also has to be within standard and queen size feels the most comfortable. Materials like latex, feather, down, and memory foam make the best pillows for back sleepers.
How to find the best pillow as a back sleeper?
You need to do three things to find the best pillow for yourself. One, make a list of the things you need: medium-firm support, medium loft, and a pressure-conforming pillow. Two, make a list of things you want like a cool, bouncy, or adjustable pillow - or all of them. Finally, take a ride to the store and make a pick based on your criteria.
Is a soft or firm pillow better for back sleepers?
There are five levels of firmness in a pillow. They are soft (plush), medium-plush, medium, medium-firm, and firm. A back sleeper needs a firm pillow, but a medium-firm pillow is best.
Tags: best mattress reviews, leesa memory foam mattress, mypillow classic pillow, twin xl mattress, custom futon mattress, kids full size mattress, layla mattress, lull mattress, big fig mattress, top rated body pillows