Top-rated Organic Crib Mattresses
When thinking about ensuring your child’s safety, your mind immediately jumps to child locks and all manner of baby-proofing. Few parents will think about the importance of a safe sleeping environment. Newborn babies sleep virtually all the time, which is why you need to ensure they are in a safe environment.
In the past, parents have chosen crib mattresses on the fly, based on factors such as price and reviews. However, due to research that revealed that some of these synthetic mattresses contain toxins that could be harmful to children, most parents opt for greener, non-toxic mattresses. Finding a good organic mattress for your baby’s crib will go a long way in ensuring they enjoy their sleep in a safe, healthy environment.
The process of finding the best organic crib mattress to choose might seem stressful at first, but we’ve got you covered. We will highlight some of the features you should look out for in a crib mattress.
What Is The Best Organic Crib Mattress?
The selling point of these mattresses, of course, is that they are made from natural materials and therefore do not give off harmful toxins found in synthetic mattresses. It is also a great choice for environment-conscious parents looking to lower their carbon footprint.
There are several types of organic crib mattresses that you will find in the market. These are all manufactured by different companies using different materials. Each type of mattress has its strengths and weakness, and finding the best one for your baby’s crib will ultimately depend on your preferences. All these mattresses offer different levels of support and comfort.
Types Of Organic Crib Mattresses
There are several organic crib mattresses in the market to choose from. You should be keen to ensure the mattress you pick is wholly organic, as some companies claim that their mattresses are organic when real sense, they use synthetic materials with an organic cover. Make sure you look at all the materials used in constructing it to ensure it is 100% organic. That said, these are the most popular types of organic mattresses:
How To Choose the Best Organic Crib Mattress For Your Baby?
You might need to conduct a little research before purchasing a mattress. The following tips will go a long way in helping you select the best organic crib mattress in the market.
- Look for certification: Nothing says quality material more than a certification. When purchasing an organic crib mattress, be on the lookout for certification by the Global Organic Textile Industry (GOTS). This is the highest standard of certification, and it gives the mattress a stamp of approval. There are many other certifications manufacturers will boast of, but GOTS is the standard if you are going for the best.
- Avoid vinyl waterproofing: A waterproof mattress for a baby sounds perfect, but most of them are made with vinyl, which is highly toxic. Vinyl is known to release very toxic chemicals that could have serious health implications on your child. As such, vinyl waterproof mattresses are a big NO. Luckily, you can still get organic waterproof mattresses that will work just as well without putting your child in danger.
- Consider the firmness of the mattress: Experts recommend a good level of firmness for crib mattresses. This is because babies need a good amount of support for safer and more comfortable sleep. The choices available are single and dual firm mattresses. Both work just fine, so it all comes down to your preference and your budget. The bottom line is your baby needs a firm sleeping surface.
- Find a mattress that fits: You want to ensure the mattress you pick is a snug fit. Most mattresses are manufactured to fit standard crib sizes. To be safe, the mattress you select should pass the two-finger test. This simply means the gap between the mattress and the side of the crib should not be more than two fingers wide.
- Avoid mattresses with flame retardant chemicals: It is common for mattresses to be treated with flame retardant chemicals to meet safety regulations. These chemicals are often toxic, which puts your baby at risk. Mattress manufacturers can meet the regulations without using these chemicals. To maximize your child’s safety, go for mattresses that meet the safety regulations naturally instead of using flame retardant chemicals.
Last things to consider when choosing the best organic crib mattress
Avoid recycled materials
Some mattress manufacturers will claim their mattresses are organic, but in real sense, they are made with recycled synthetic materials. Polyester is one of the most common recycled materials that they use. You need to steer clear of these mattresses and ensure the one you pick is fully organic.
While it is true that most organic crib mattresses are rather pricey, they are worth every penny. There are several types of organic crib mattresses covering a wide price range. This way, you can always find one that suits your budget.
Preparing for your baby will have you running all over the place. Even the task of choosing a crib mattress can seem huge. However, as long as you know what factors you need to consider when making your choice, then the task is made a lot easier.
How to choose a crib mattress?
You need to consider factors such as firmness, level of comfort, and your budget. You also need to ensure that the mattress is a snug fit. Additionally, it is advisable to go for organic crib mattresses. These are safer for your baby as they do not contain synthetic materials that could expose your child to harmful toxins.
What is the best mattress for a newborn baby?
The best mattress for a newborn baby is one that is manufactured using organic materials. This way, the baby sleeps in a safe environment. Additionally, the mattress needs to be sufficiently firm. Babies need a firm surface to sleep on for support and comfort.
How much does an organic crib mattress cost?
They generally cost more than synthetic mattresses. The price of an organic crib mattress depends on factors such as the quality of the design, type of material, and durability. Organic crib mattresses go for anywhere between $100 and $400.
Tags: what are the best mattresses, layla foam mattress, dreamcloud hybrid mattress reviews, best neck pillows for travel, cotton mattress protector, how much bigger is a king than a queen, queen size mattress set, sutera pillow stomach sleeper, extra firm mattress topper for back pain, what is the best waterproof mattress protector