Best Mattresses for Shoulder Pain sufferers
The shoulder is the most moveable joint in the body. And since the shoulder is gifted with the most movement, it is the most susceptible to damage. Chronic pain can have a strong impact on your slumber, especially when you are a side sleeper. If you are looking for the best mattress for side sleepers with shoulder pain, do consider doing some research beforehand.
A shoulder-friendly mattress should, first and foremost, be comfortable and supportive. We will provide our top picks and discuss other relevant aspects about what mattress is best for shoulder pain.
What Exactly Causes Shoulder Pain?
The most typical causes for shoulder pain usually include:
- Injury to the rotator cuff.
- A low-quality mattress.
- Dislocated shoulder.
- Broken collarbone or arm.
- Frozen shoulder or arm.
- Injury to the spinal cord.
- Bone spurs.
This condition can be quite tricky to deal with, and oftentimes, the last solution that comes to mind is a shoulder pain-friendly bed mattress. Shoulder pain can, at the very least, be alleviated by the use of a quality mattress (among other treatments for the pain).
What Should People Consider When Looking For A Mattress For Shoulder Pain?
Before you go out to look for the best mattress for side sleepers with shoulder pain, it helps to consider the following factors:
The firmness of a mattress
Usually, a medium-level-firm mattress is the most suitable choice for shoulder pain. This may not apply to everyone, but according to newer research, a medium-firm mattress is the best mattress for shoulder pain. This level of firmness should offer spinal alignment support as well as pressure relief. Nonetheless, at the end of the day, whatever the sleeper finds most comfortable is what matters the most.
Your Usual Sleeping Position
Your usual sleeping position also plays into what you must go with when shopping for a mattress. Mentioned below are a few of the main sleeping positions for you to identify what mattress might suit you the most.
- Side sleepers: A mattress with thick foam layers will provide shoulder relief for side sleepers since they put significant pressure on their joints. The best mattress for side sleepers with shoulder pain should be a soft one that provides body contouring.
- Stomach sleepers: Stomach sleepers should choose a firm mattress for ample support. A firm mattress keeps the hips aligned with the shoulders, and that helps relieve some pressure in the shoulder region.
- Back sleepers: People who prefer to lay supine should go with a medium-soft to medium-firm mattress. The mattress should be soft enough to provide sinkage around the shoulders, and firm enough to provide support for your lower back. Mattresses offering zoned support are also a great choice for back sleepers.
- Combination sleepers: These types of sleepers usually require pressure relief and support in all of the positions. A medium-soft hybrid mattress may suit such sleepers the most.
Pressure relief refers to how a mattress ultimately distributes your body weight. The best mattress for side sleepers with shoulder pain is supposed to distribute body weight evenly as that diminishes tension throughout the body. To figure out how a mattress performs in terms of pressure relief, ensure that your mattress is not pushing back on sensitive areas like your shoulders.
Motion Isolation Features
This alludes to how a mattress manages to reduce disturbances during the night. If you sleep next to a partner or have a pet, chances are you will be jostled by them moving around. A good mattress for shoulder pain will not let your partner’s/pet’s movements wake you up or worsen your pain. In such a case, pillow-top and memory foam mattresses are great at isolating motion.
Which mattress features are important for shoulder pain?
In our opinion, features like motion isolation, pressure relief, spine alignment support, and edge support are vital for individuals with shoulder pain.
- Motion isolation prevents disturbances of any kind, and that feature comes in extra handy when you have a partner or pet tossing and turning next to you.
- Pressure relief in a mattress distributes your body weight evenly, reducing tension throughout your body.
- A mattress offering spine alignment support helps keep the spine straight.
- Edge support makes the edges of a mattress sturdy, allowing you to take up more space towards the edge of your mattress without fear of falling over.
What Type of Mattress Is Most Suitable for Shoulder Pain?
When on the lookout for a mattress for shoulder pain, be wary that different types offer different levels of shoulder pain relief. In that case, do pay attention to the materials you are choosing.
- Polyfoam: These types of mattresses are suitable for people with shoulder pain. While they do not offer the same level of support memory foam mattresses offer, they can still be decent short-term options for those on a budget.
- Memory foam: This mattress type is considered probably the best mattress for side sleepers with shoulder pain. These provide ample pressure relief and body contouring. They also have a slow pressure response, allowing you to sink comfortably into them.
- Latex: This material often feels bouncy and has a cooling effect. Their body-contouring capabilities, however, are underwhelming compared to other foam mattresses so they are not the best for side sleepers. That being said, back sleepers can still consider trying soft latex mattresses.
- Innerspring: Innerspring mattresses are not suitable for people with shoulder pain, they are bouncy and very often, significantly firm. These mattresses (without a dense top layer) will not provide enough pressure relief for side sleepers unless they start lying prone.
- Hybrid: These types mix top layers with steel coils, so they vary broadly in firmness, A hybrid with dense polyfoam or memory foam top layers is a good option for those with shoulder pain. Although a hybrid mattress may not be the best mattress for shoulder pain, it can suffice.
- Pillow-top: These are often innerspring or hybrid layers with an added wool, foam, or (sometimes) down the top layer. These are excellent at offering pressure relief. They also allow a bit of extra sinkage. Pillow tops are highly comfortable for individuals with shoulder pain.
Having to sleep with shoulder pain (chronic or occasional) can be highly frustrating. Although there are plenty of elaborate treatments for shoulder pain, changing your sleeping environment can also make a world of difference to your nightly comfort. If you have been using your current mattress for more than five years, you may want to consider changing it. That is where we come in to help.
What type of mattress works best for shoulder pain?
Memory foam, as well as pillow-top mattresses, are considered the most comfortable for people with shoulder pain. Memory foam mattresses in particular offer the right amount of pressure relief and body contouring.
What kind of firmness does a mattress need for shoulder pain?
A medium-firm mattress is the best option for those with shoulder pain. That is because it is the right amount of soft, and the right amount of firm.
What sleeping position is best for shoulder pain?
Sleeping on your back can save your shoulder(s) from pain. That way, there is no extra pressure to aggravate your already-existing shoulder pain.
Tags: top mattresses, leesa memory foam mattress, , what type of mattress is best for a platform bed, firm down pillow, modern throw pillows for sofa, plush and firm difference, best pillow top mattress, aireloom hybrid mattress, coop original pillow