What is the Best Mattress for Neck Pain?
Quality sleep is a necessary component for a productive day. Unfortunately, this isn't always easy to come by, especially if you have been experiencing neck pain.
Neck pains can be frustrating enough, but it is made even more difficult when it means you have to operate on little to no sleep. However, this is a catch-22 because what may be causing the very neck pains that keep you awake could be the quality of the sleep you have been receiving. While it may not mean an instant fix to your suffering, a new mattress could be precisely what you need to begin relieving your pain, or at the very least, getting you some well-earned rest.
But what is the best mattress for neck pain? While below is a list of some of the best mattresses for neck pain in 2022, it is essential to understand what it is you should be looking for.
What Should People with Neck Pain Consider When Looking for A Mattress?
The following are some of the most critical factors you should consider when searching for the best mattress for neck pain:
- Firmness: When choosing between a firm and soft mattress for neck pain, it is often wise to go somewhere in the middle. While personal preference does come into play, research shows that a medium-firm mattress is the best option for neck and back pains.
- Sleeping Position: If you are looking for the best mattress for neck pain, it is vital to select the right one for your sleeping position. The best sleeping position for neck pain is on your back with a pillow under your knees for an even weight distribution optimal for maintaining spinal alignment. Nevertheless, side sleeping is a healthy alternative as well. However, the best mattress for a side sleeper with neck pain is one that caters to the curvature of your neck, with a flatter cushion to support your head.
- Support: A mattress's ability to evenly distribute weight along its surface is essential for preventing neck and back pains. It is common for low-quality mattresses to begin to sag after a short time. This ruins your sleep's spinal alignment and only results in further pains. When choosing a new bed, you need to consider the quality of the mattress and the support it offers.
Which Mattress Features Are Important for Neck Pain?
Many mattresses out there promote so many bells and whistles that it's hard to determine what features are beneficial and which ones simply make it sound good. When it comes to neck pain, you want a mattress that relieves your tension. Therefore, some of the primary features your bed should offer are:
- Pressure Relief: The best mattress for cervical neck pain is one that conforms to your shoulder and hips while distributing your weight evenly throughout its surface. By doing so, these mattresses relieve the pressure focused along your cervical vertebrae and reduce your discomfort.
- Spinal Alignment: Mattresses that offer spinal alignment support ensure your body maintains a proper posture throughout the night, maximizing your comfort and limiting any future pain aggravation.
- Durability and Support: The alignment and pressure relief capabilities are only as good for as long as the mattress lasts. Low-quality mattresses are known to sag and collapse earlier than higher-grade beds. It is crucial to ensure you find a reputable brand known for its longevity so that you will be enjoying a healthy sleep long into the future.
- Refund policy for Sleep testing: You will not know the quality of a night's sleep until you test the mattress. Luckily, many of the best mattresses for bad necks come with a money-back guarantee. Purchasing a bed is a commitment, but you can test the mattress out with a good refund policy. And, if it doesn't suit your needs, you can send it back and try again.
What Type of Mattress Is Best for Neck Pain?
All mattresses have their pros and cons, but some are more suited to relieving neck pains than others. To understand which mattress is good for neck pain, we first need to understand some of the most common options available.
Innerspring are the most typical mattresses available and the most economical option. As the name suggests, these beds are primarily comprised of springs and coils, and as a result, offer a bouncy surface.
For those transitioning to back sleep, this can provide beneficial support. However, the problem with these beds is their longevity. While the more affordable option, these mattresses quickly cave with use, reducing the mattress's overall support and alignment abilities.
Memory Foam Mattress
Memory foam mattresses are the best option when it comes to relieving pressure. The highlight of these mattresses is their ability to form around your body to maintain your natural posture throughout the night. When it comes to relieving neck pain, this option is ideal. Yet, like the innerspring mattress, it can be susceptible to wear. When shopping for a memory foam mattress, ensuring you find a durable, supportive brand is vital.
Latex mattresses offer the most balanced experience for your night's rest. Made out of natural or synthetic materials, these mattresses provide both the bouncing support of the innerspring mattresses and some of the body-forming pressure relief of the memory foam option.
Hybrid mattresses are some of the best for relieving neck pain. They combine the coil functions of the innerspring mattress for support and have a top layer of latex or foam for pressure relief. If you are unsure whether a foam or innerspring mattress is right for you, this option offers the perfect compromise.
Getting the right kind of mattress for neck pain sufferers is an important, but also sensitive task. This is because a lot goes into making that choice. But with our comprehensive guide, it should be easier to go into the market and get the right mattress.
What type of mattress is best for Neck Pain?
When it comes to the best mattress type for neck pain, it depends on what kind of sleeper you are. If you are a side sleeper, then memory foam mattresses are your best option as they form to keep your body in perfect alignment. However, if you are unsure of whether an innerspring or foam mattress is right for you, then the hybrid option offers the best of both.
What kind of firmness does a mattress need for Neck Pain?
A medium-firm mattress is the optimal bed for relieving neck pain. With a soft mattress, neck pains are more prevalent due to the lack of support. Meanwhile, a mattress that is too firm lacks the pressure relief functions to ease your pain. Therefore, you want to find an option somewhere in the middle of these two extremes.
What sleeping position is best for Neck Pain?
While sleeping on your back with slight elevation applied under your knees is the optimal sleeping position, side sleeping is also a viable option. However, to maintain spinal alignment while side-sleeping, you should use a pillow that caters to the curvature of your neck and utilizes a flatter surface to support your head.
Tags: most comfortable mattress, full xl memory foam mattress, linenspa mattress full, coop pillows, best king size mattress for back pain, how much bigger is a twin xl than a twin, zinus mattress warranty, xl twin foam mattress, travel pillows, what does gel infused memory foam mean