Mattresses for Kids
While good sleep is advantageous to everybody, kids depend on high-quality sleep in to fuel swift learning and rapid growth. In addition to this, children need more sleep as compared to adults, usually 10 to 13 hours for younger ones between the age of 3 and 5. Older children should get at least 8 hours of sleep. To enhance a comfortable night’s sleep, choosing the right mattress is key.
In our choice for the best mattress for children, our team of experts took into account specific factors including pressure alleviation, firmness level, price points, child mattress sizes, as well as temperature neutrality. We also made a point of considering each mattress’ suitability when it came to sleep position. We understand that for a parent, deciding on the best infant mattress is not so easy given the numerous information out there and the ton of products saturating the market. Our comprehensive guide here aims at making this less daunting by answering question “what type of mattress is best for kids?” “Should I go for a firm or plush mattress for children?” and many other questions that parents ask themselves. The table below shows our top selection when it comes to the best mattresses for kids.
What is a mattress for kids?
A kids’ mattress is a bed cushion that is made with specifications to meet the comfort and support of children in their sleep. While kids should not participate in the testing process ideally, every good mattress for kids should be evaluated with a key focus on specific factors that affect the quality of sleep for children. Such factors include the mattress’ bounce feel, how well the mattress for kids regulates temperature, whether or not the bed cushion gives adequate support for growing kids. The best kid mattress will also take into account factors that are child-friendly, including waterproof mattress protectors for absolute protection during the bed-wetting phase and low-profile futons to make it easy for the kids to hop in and out of bed.
- Hybrids: Hybrid kids` full-size mattress models combine different comfort layers with top-notch quality coil support systems. Such layers include memory foam, latex, polyfoam, and micro-coils. This kids’ mattress design is meant to provide the advantages of several mattress types.
- Innersprings: These mattresses for kids are made of several layers of coils in addition to thin comfort layers such as fiber or foam. Innersprings are the more conventional models which makes them highly popular.
- Latex: These full-size kids` mattress models consist of at least one latex layer. An organic kid` mattress can be made from natural latex derived from rubber trees’ sap. There are various types of latex including some that are synthetically derived. Latex has a softer and lighter feel, and it is frequently used in extra comfort layers. Dunlop latex, on the other hand, is more durable and denser, and it is primarily used to enhance the mattress’ support and comfort layer.
- Airbeds: Children`s air mattress models are becoming increasingly popular. These types of bed cushions derive their name from the air chambers (the mattress’ support layer). An air mattress for kids has air chambers that can be filled up or emptied using a remote control, pump, or even software app depending on the specific model. Airbeds usually come with thin layers of comfort made of foam, latex, wool, or other materials that feature extra cushioning.
- Foam: All-foam kids foam mattress models are made with extra layers of memory foam and/or polyfoam for increased support. Some are also constructed with high-density polyfoam as a support core preventing the user from sinking deeply into their mattress. Kid’s memory foam mattress types are among the most comfortable child mattress options in the market, seeing as they conform closely while responding slowly to the body.
How to choose the best mattress for kids
Here, we will focus on the various factors that you need to take into account in your selection of the best mattress for kids’ firm or soft. Every child has unique needs, there is no specific mattress type that can suit all kids. Factors such as the kid’s size, sleep position, and available space play a role in your choice for the best kid’s mattress. Many other factors determine your choice when it comes to how to choose a mattress for a child.
Numerous mattress models have been designed specifically for kids, and for some families, this is an ideal match to their situation. For other parents, the preference is non-specialty models that can continue to be used even as the kid gets older. Kid’s mattress sizes are also important especially when it comes to available space and how big or small the child is. While there are no "right kids" mattresses sizes for your kids (considering the growth aspect), the lifespan of the futon and your plans for it may help in your choice of the best mattress for kids. Purpose plays a significant role as well. There are kids` travel mattress models that are specially designed for travel purposes.
Last things to consider when buying a mattress
- Price: For some families, the cost of the mattress will be a deciding factor in their purchase. The price of a mattress is impacted by several factors, including the kids` mattress sizes, material quality, dexterity, as well as construction. Some high-end futons are more durable than others, which may result in them being a good bargain over time. However, there are also high-quality models available at lower prices on the market.
- Sleeping position: The favored sleeping position of a child can have an impact on how comfy a mattress is for that youngster. A slightly softer mattress is typically preferred by side sleepers to allow the larger sections of their bodies, such as their hips or shoulders, to sink in a little more. Beds with a firmer feel that supports their midsections to prevent excessive sinkage are preferred by back and stomach sleepers. If your child tends to move about a lot during the night, you may want to seek for a best kid’s mattress model that provides a good balance of support and contouring to fit all of your child's possible sleep positions.
- Material quality: High-quality materials can have an impact on the performance and lifetime of a good kid's mattress. Sagging and degradation are less likely to occur with higher-quality materials. Eventually, the bed's comfort and usability can be diminished as a result of sagging and degradation. If you intend to remove the mattress in a few years when your child outgrows it, lower-quality materials may not be a problem for you. For those who intend to have their child use the bed for an extended period or who wish to pass the bed on to another child, high-quality materials may be more significant.
Not only do adults recognize the benefits of a comfortable, supporting mattress, but so do children as well. Children want restful evenings and high-quality sleep just as much as adults. You might argue that getting the appropriate mattress is even more crucial for children than it is for adults because children often sleep for longer periods each night than adults. Our team of committed sleep specialists carefully tested dozens of mattresses before narrowing down their choices to the top three options listed above. In order to build the most thorough list possible, we took into consideration mattresses that are specifically made for youngsters as well as versions that are suitable for sleepers of all ages and sizes.
How do I get my kid mattress upstairs?
The first step is to scan the stairwell, checking for any broken or damaged ones that should be avoided. The next step is to get rid of any items that you are likely to trip over while cleaning. Both you and your assistance should stand on either side of the mattress and then lift it simultaneously as you gently ascend the stairs to the second floor.
How much does a mattress for kids weigh?
The majority of these mattress kinds have dimensions of 40 inches by 75 inches. Co-sleepers may find this size to be a little too small. The majority of children's bed cushions weigh roughly 125 pounds each.
How do I dispose of my old mattress?
Going about mattress disposal sensibly and safely is highly recommended. One method of accomplishing this is to request that the retailer where you originally purchased your child's mattress come pick up the old one while they replace it with a brand new one. The majority of shops usually include mattress disposal and pick-up services in the purchase price of their products.
Tags: top mattresses, ghostbed memory foam mattress, difference between twin and twin xl, mattress firmness levels, linenspa twin mattress, best mattress for sciatica, latex vs memory foam mattress, firm latex mattress topper, best mattress for seniors,