Anyone seeking to add to their bed’s comfort level while maintaining their mattress in tip-top condition should consider buying a mattress pad. Featuring a slick design that is not only easy to use but also effortless to clean, a mattress pad is a convenient upgrade to any user’s sleeping space. Most shoppers get into the online space in search of the best mattress pad. They are more often than not daunted by the tons of options available. With wide-ranging product diversity, sifting through the ‘crowd’ to get to your most ideal choice can seem somewhat unmanageable.
Lucky for you, we’ve got you covered. We have made it our sole responsibility to make the journey effortless for you. Through a rather rigorous process, our team of experts can identify the best mattress pads based on key categories. It does not matter if you are in search of a pillow-top mattress pad, a king-size mattress pad, a queen-size mattress pad, or even an organic mattress pad; our in-depth guide has got you covered. Without leaving anything to chance, we go ahead to provide you details pertaining benefits of mattress pads, key considerations in your choice of the pad, as well as the key differences between these products and mattress toppers. The table below features our top picks when it comes to the best mattress pads based on merit.
What is a Mattress Pad?
Simply put, a mattress pad is a fabric layer that is placed between your mattress and the fitted sheet. A mattress pad has two main roles: offering enhanced comfort and providing a defense line against damage and contaminants. Mostly, a mattress pad gives extra softness to your mattress, boosting comfort by way of providing some form of a comfy pillow top. In some cases, mattress tops feature cooling properties seeing to it that the sleeper is shielded from overheating for a comfortable night’s sleep. As a layer placed atop your mattress, a mattress pad ensures that damage from accidental spills is alleviated. In the same light, you get protected from allergens, dust particles, and other contaminants.
- Mattress Protection: With a mattress pad, you can be sure that your mattress is better off than an instance when it is bare. Waterproof mattress pads, especially, come in handy as a strong seal against spillage that could potentially damage your mattress.
- Allergen control: With a high-quality mattress pad, you can be sure that you are safe from seasonal allergens and other irritants such as dust mites. For a more dependable barrier, be sure to choose mattress pads with impermeable TPU or vinyl layers. However, any fabric on a high-quality pad is good enough in keeping off allergens from your mattress.
- Extra comfort: Featuring added softness, a mattress pad can add to your mattress’s ultimate comfort. To get the full comfort experience, be sure to go for plusher and thicker pads, particularly those made of materials such as wool, down, and cotton. Better still, opt for pads fitted with cooling properties, seeing as they alleviate overheating, giving the sleeper a comfy sweat-free night.
- Ease of Cleaning: Trying to spotlessly clean a mattress without potentially damaging it is nearly impossible. With a mattress pad, you can keep your mattress as good as new, seeing as these products are easy to clean and dry. This way, you can keep your bed feeling and smelling good all day every day.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Mattresses, particularly top-notch quality ones, can be quite some expensive investments. Mattress pads, on the other hand, are much more affordable, even when compared to protectors and toppers. If you are a value-seeker and budget shopper, this right here is the direction to head.
How to Choose
While a mattress protector makes a significantly useful addition to your bedding ‘collection’, finding the right product from the sea of options available is not so easy. During your bedding shopping spree, it would be really helpful to know what exactly you are looking for. Below are some things to look out for:
- Quality of Materials - The most dependable and durable mattress pads are usually made of top-notch quality materials. For instance, depending on what type of individual you are, you might find yourself in preference of an organic mattress pad made from natural and eco-friendly materials; a cotton mattress pad could be quite ideal in this case.
- Specific features - Some advanced mattress pad options feature motion-transfer attributes. This way, the sleeper does not feel their mattress move about as they change their sleep position. If you happen to be allergic to dust or other contaminants, you could consider purchasing a hypoallergenic pad.
- Purpose - Another feature to consider would be cooling properties, particularly if you suffer from overheating, or if you happen to live in a warm climate with humid conditions. For extra temperature regulation, you might consider a mattress pad with Phase Change Materials; a special textile tech feature that effectively promotes temperature regulation. If you are in search of extra comfort levels, a thick mattress pad or a quitted mattress pad would be a better option.
What to Consider When Buying a Mattress Pad
All pads are designed differently, each solving a different problem. As such, it is not quite easy to do a direct comparison among all types available. However, the factors below can help in deciding what your top priorities are:
- Waterproofing features.
- Pad thickness.
- Firmness level.
- Ease of cleaning.
- Noise factor.
If you are completely in love with your mattress, but there are some adjustments you’d like to make to it to give it a customized feel, then a top-notch quality mattress pad is one way to get started. This thin fabric layer, although seemingly insignificant, could make all the difference when it comes to comfort and mattress protection. In addition to this, with a comfortable mattress pad, you can get to enjoy sweat-free nights if your pad features temperature regulation properties.
Which type of mattress pad is best for me?
Mattress pads are all different in design and type, and the decision on which one is best for you is all dependent on your individual needs. It all boils down to what you are in search of; an allergic person could find a hypoallergenic option best suited for them. On the other hand, anyone suffering from overheating could prefer a mattress pad featuring cooling properties.
How do I clean my mattress pad?
The first thing to successfully achieving mattress pad cleaning is following the manufacturer`s instructions provided, seeing as each brand varies from the other. For most brands, the most recommended method is laundering the pad. This helps in maintaining its longevity while preventing it from losing its water-proofing properties or thinning.
How Does a Mattress Pad Attach to the Bed?
Our mattress pad reviews show that nearly all pads use an elastic band to attach and stay in place. The most common method is deploying the elastic band by way of sewing it to the mattress pad’s perimeter. A skirt-like panel then goes around the mattress’ sides in a continuous band. This firm band ensures that the pad stays firmly in place.
What is the distinguishing feature when it comes to a mattress pad, a mattress protector, and or mattress topper?
Compared to a mattress topper, a pad is thinner, and it is mainly intended to change the way your bed feels. While mattress pads provide some level of protection to your mattress, they do not entirely encase/ cover it on all sides as is the case with a protector. Each product serves a unique purpose; a topper is ideal if you are seeking to change your mattress’s entire feel, a protector is for ultimate protection, and a full-size mattress pad is what you go for if you are looking for something that falls in the middle of the two.
Tags: most popular mattress, mattress buying advice, allswell king mattress, mypillow classic standard size pillow, top rated pillows, vibe gel memory foam mattress review, murphy bed folding mattress, best mattress for fat people, mattress size comparison, standard twin mattress